Director of Fundraising and OperationsCompany: Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights
Date Posted: May 6, 2016
Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights seeks a full time Director of Fundraising and Operations, based in Ottawa, Canada.
As a progressive, pro‐choice organization, Action Canada for Sexual Health and Rights is a strong voice for international and national sexual and reproductive health and rights policy, education and access ‐ engaging people in Canada and around the world in the sexual and
reproductive health and rights movement.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Fundraising and Operations (DFO) provides leadership on all aspects of the organization’s fundraising including the direct mail program, major donors and legacy donors, digital fundraising, and foundations and Governments. The DFO also works with the Executive Director to provide some internal management and leadership for the operations of the organization. The DFO has primarily responsible for fundraising and organizational administrative systems. In addition the DFO works with the Executive Director to manage the organization’s Human Resources and Finances.
Statement of Qualifications In addition to relevant post‐secondary education, preferably an advanced degree, and considerable experience working with community organizations, the position requires:
- Minimum of 5 years fundraising experience, with institutional and individual donors, including demonstrated ability to secure major gifts
- CFRE designation or other recognized fundraising certification would be considered a strong asset
- Minimum of 3 years management experience in the NGO sector (including staff supervision and human resource management as well as financial management)
- Demonstrated experience preparing project or funding proposals and associated reports including both narrative and financial
- Ability to translate relevant policies and guidelines into effective and efficient financial, administrative and reporting systems
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of registered charities
- Ability to write in a clear and succinct manner and to build and tell a compelling case for financial support is essential.
- High degree of comfort with a variety of software programs and new technologies and a willingness to learn and explore new ones
- Experience working with donor management software is essential. Specific experience with Donor Perfect Online is considered a strong asset.
- Demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace with demonstrated ability to celebrate and manage diversity
- Strong understanding of and demonstrated commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights, as well as human rights principles and values
- Flexible and adaptive; able to respond quickly and effectively to changing circumstances
- Ability to operate autonomously within the parameters of mission and mandate
- Ability to prioritize and organize work effectively
- Commitment to and demonstrated effectiveness with a collaborative management approach and proven conflict resolution skills
- demonstrated ability to work with networks and partners while maintaining organizational priorities
- Strong leadership skills, both as a team player and as a team leader
- Willing to travel and work outside of normal business hours, when necessary
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Ability to work in French
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to create a fund development plan. The plan would address the direct mail program, major donors and legacy donors, digital fundraising, and foundations and Governments
- Monitor and evaluate fundraising activities to ensure best possible use of resources and to ensure that fundraising goals are being met
- Evaluate changing trends in philanthropy, adapting current programs and developing new programs in response to the philanthropic needs
- Lead all donor stewardship activities. Assume responsibility for all major gifts stewardship, and oversee the work of the Fundraising Assistant with other stewardship activities.
- Lead all of the direct mail fundraising activities and associated online engagement
- Work with the communications officer to develop all fundraising messages and associated resources including annual reports, newsletters, e-newsletters etc.
- Oversee the administration of the donor database, and all associated administration including charitable receipting and ensure that the administration of the same meets all applicable legislation and standards.
- Maintain a calendar of grant reporting dates and ensure that the grants are reported on in a timely and effective manner.
- Create and support a Group of Patrons as part of the Governance structure of the organization and who will participate in major gift fundraising.
- Design and implement individual fundraising strategies using effective methods for solicitation and cultivation to secure major gifts and legacy gifts..
- Analyze data and prepare reports tracking donor cultivation through the fundraising pipeline.
- Work with the Communications Officer to ensure seamless integration of the Fundraising activities with all communication activities (both traditional and digital) of the organization.
- Write content for all fundraising appeals and updates, including but not limited to; monthly donor emails, newsletters/annual reports, appeal letters and online campaigns.
- The Director of Fundraising and Operations is the second half of the organization’s management team. The DFO will provide support to the Executive Director in a variety of areas.
- Working with the Executive Director, plan and administer human resources. Assist in recruitment and placement of required staff, and track leave time for all employees.
- Work with the Executive Director to establish and maintain a positive, healthy, and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Together with the Finance Officer oversee the administration of payroll and benefits.
- Oversee the work of Action Canada’s Technology Coordinator to ensure an effective technological infrastructure to support the work of the organization.
- Oversee the work of the Office Coordinator and Fundraising Assistant to ensure a smooth functioning office environment.
- Oversee the organizational insurance policies, including the employee extended benefits.
- Ensure compliance with Canada Revenue Agency charitable guidelines
- Draft policies for the Executive Director and the Board, and prepare procedures to implementing the organizational policies
- Provide some oversight to the program staff on the use of the Norma Scarborough Emergency Fund and provide authorization for expenses accordingly.
- Oversee the day to day operation of all Fundraising activities, and a variety of other office related functions.
- Provide regular oversight to the Accountant to ensure that the financial affairs of the organization are in good health and that financial policies and processes are followed.
- Assist the ED to prepare and control operational budgets.
Please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by Monday May 23, 2016. Position will commence as soon as possible.
Salary for this position is $60,000 - $70,000 + benefits.
We thank all applicants in advance; only those invited for an interview will be contacted.
As an equity employer, we welcome applications from historically disadvantaged groups. Self-identification by candidates is completely voluntary.