Manager, Database and Direct MailCompany: Canadian Blood Services
Date Posted: May 13, 2016
Do you want to work in a dynamic, fast-paced, innovative organization? Are you excited about working with a dedicated community who makes a real difference in the lives of Canadians by recruiting blood, stem cell, cord blood and organ, eye and tissue donors? Do you want to help save lives every day? Then this job is for you.
Canadian Blood Services is a collaborative community of donors, volunteers, health care professionals, employees and corporate partners committed to saving and improving the lives of Canadians.
We are currently seeking a Manager, Database and Direct Mail to join our fundraising team in our Ottawa office.
In this role you will be responsible for the development, implementation and monitoring of the detailed direct mail plan as a core program of the fundraising department and for providing input into fundraising programs being executed in the regions, as well as the stewardship program. You will be responsible for defining the direct mail targets for current financial donors and prospects, as well as monitoring performance against targets. Additionally, you will develop and execute detailed database segmentation plans to support regional fundraising programs. You will also identify areas requiring remediation and recommend improvements as a means for informing, contesting, and refining fundraising national targets. In addition, you will develop and manage performance reporting processes and related metrics across all fundraising programs, and provide advice to the Director, Fundraising and appropriate fundraising staff on trends/areas requiring analysis/mitigation.
- Expand the base of committed annual and monthly financial donors through the development and implementation of a direct mail program to further increase philanthropic support for Canadian Blood Services.
- In collaboration with the Director, set budgets, performance targets and evaluation measures that will track the success of the direct mail program;
- Manage information/data related to financial donors and prospects nationally and work collaboratively with fundraising and stewardship staff to ensure donor needs are met;
- Manage prospect pipeline and moves management system in Raisers’ Edge
- Manage all progress reports, comparative reports and other financial reports to be used by Director, Fundraising and fundraising team;
- Collaborate with IT and Finance to upgrade and maintain the Raiser’s Edge database, and execute new technology as required
- Liaise with vendor to ensure ongoing maintenance and upgrades to Raiser’s Edge database and adherence to contract
- Prepare and maintain relevant reports pertaining to the fundraising department performance across all programs.
Education, Training and Experience:
- Post-secondary level education in a relevant discipline from a recognized academic institution or appropriate combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of six years’ experience working with not-for-profit organization(s) in a fundraising environment
- Experience in fundraising methodology, planning and execution of a successful direct mail program
- Extensive knowledge of Raisers’ Edge database including Crystal Reports.
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Demonstrated Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid understanding of fundraising principles and experience in Direct Mail solicitation
- Demonstrated proficiency in Raisers’ Edge donor segmentation and reporting methods, with an understanding of their financial impacts, is essential.
- Excellent written communication skills specifically related to the creation of a direct mail appeal
- Excellent analytical skills regarding donor segmentation
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including teamwork, facilitation, influencing and negotiation
- Demonstrated professionalism, judgment and discretion in dealing with confidential or sensitive matters
- Understanding of the need for privacy, protecting and maintaining confidential donor and volunteer information and data.
- A proven ability to work independently, with the flexibility to take on a wide variety of assigned duties and projects, setting priorities, meeting deadlines and working under the pressure of accuracy and time constraints.