Chief FundraiserCompany: Ontario Liberal Fund
Date Posted: May 20, 2016
We are seeking an experienced, dynamic Chief Fundraiser who has a passion for fundraising and an entrepreneurial drive to enhance contributions and increase support of the Ontario Liberal Fund. The Chief Fundraiser will manage a team of 10-12 individuals and will demonstrate leadership and commitment to the mission, vision, values and employees of the organization and Ontario Liberal Party.
The Chief Fundraiser will be focused on designing and building programs and systems to grow the base of individual donors through an integrated approach of engagement and communication using both traditional and digital tools and tactics. The Chief Fundraiser will also re-envision and rejuvenate the Red Trillium Club to maximize support for the party at the highest permitted levels. As well, the new incumbent will be accountable for administering an effective and efficient operation that manages the cost of fundraising and ensures legal compliance.
Based in our downtown Toronto office and reporting to the CEO/Managing Director of the Ontario Liberal Party, the Chief Fundraiser will serve as a member of the Ontario Liberal Party’s organizational leadership team.
ABOUT THE ONTARIO LIBERAL PARTY
The Ontario Liberal Party (OLP) has a long tradition of working to improve the lives of all Ontarians. Committed to high-quality public education and health care, the Ontario Liberal Government has introduced Full-Day Kindergarten and smaller class sizes, and reduced wait times for key health care procedures.
Since taking office in February 2013, Premier Kathleen Wynne’s accomplishments include the largest infrastructure investment in Ontario’s history — $160 billion over 12 years — and completing the single-largest climate change initiative in North America by eliminating coal-fired electricity generation in the province. She has also introduced a ground-breaking plan to stop sexual violence and harassment.
Premier Wynne’s economic plan for Ontario builds on her number-one priority: growing the economy and creating jobs. The Ontario Liberal government’s four-part plan invests in talent and skills, including helping more people get and create the jobs of the future by expanding access to high-quality college and university education. In addition to record infrastructure investments in roads, bridges, transit, schools and hospitals, the plan is investing in a low-carbon economy driven by innovative, high-growth, export-oriented businesses. The plan is also helping workers achieve a more secure retirement, through the Ontario Retirement Pension Plan.
The Ontario Liberal government is implementing this plan while eliminating the deficit in 2017-18 in a way that is fair to the people of the province and supports economic growth, while building a more welcoming, inclusive and fair Ontario for everyone.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The ideal candidate will be a goal-oriented builder who has a track-record of success in developing and scaling-up best-in-class individual giving programs, preferably in a membership-based or advocacy organization. Self-motivated and possessing a strong sense of urgency, the successful candidate will have the capacity to define and focus on priorities. Taking a balanced and pragmatic approach to meeting both short- and long-term goals, the new Chief Fundraiser will help us further professionalize fundraising and donor relations.
Well versed in both traditional and digital tools and techniques, the successful candidate will apply strong database, analytical, and technical skills to the development of effective segmentation, communication, engagement, and fundraising activities. In addition to strong marketing knowledge and experience, the ideal candidate will understand the power of social media as a tool for growing our membership, engagement, and fundraising. Previous experience in a political organization is not expected, though a personal interest in politics would help the new incumbent to understand the motivations of people who are involved in civil society through engagement with and support of political parties.
The successful candidate will be a change agent who has the experience and ability to drive and lead organizational change in partnership with others. A strong believer in the integration of engagement and fundraising, the ideal candidate will be a collaborative team player who is committed to communicating and working with others to shift the model as we move forward. The Chief Fundraiser will be able to grasp and work within a high level of formal and informal complexity. Possessing a confident and professional presence, the successful candidate will be a credible expert who engenders respect and trust among others.
Both proactive and responsive, the Chief Fundraiser will understand how to work effectively and strategically with the OLP Executive Council during this time of evolution. The successful candidate will be a direct, transparent, and articulate communicator who has the courage of their convictions. Able to be a leader both internally and externally, the ideal candidate will be a pragmatic person of excellent judgment who balances patience with persistence.
Warm and highly likeable, the successful candidate will possess strong interpersonal skills and will be an exceptional steward of relationships. Able to work with both grassroots and Executive Council volunteers, the ideal candidate will be a persuasive motivator who inspires others to get excited and get involved. Diplomatic and tactful, the Chief Fundraiser will have an exceptional ability to work with and through others to accomplish goals.
Creative, flexible and tolerant of ambiguity, the ideal candidate will be a coach who clearly outlines the vision and expectations, and encourages and supports the team in achieving these objectives. The Chief Fundraiser will foster a strong sense of team and camaraderie, and will provide consistency in communication and decision-making. Highly organized and able to run a tight and efficient operation, the successful candidate will be a steady hand who puts the structure and systems in place, and keeps people focused on both the big picture and the details at the same time.
The Chief Fundraiser will be an ethical person of high integrity who understands and respects the importance of maintaining confidentiality. While the successful candidate need not be a current member of the Ontario Liberal Party, belief in the values of the party is essential in this role.
The Ontario Liberal Party raised over $9 million in 2015 from individuals, corporations and unions. New legislation is being proposed to ban corporate and union donations starting in January 2017. All parties will shift to a greater emphasis on individual donations along with maximum donation limits.
Reporting to the CEO/Managing Director of the Ontario Liberal Party, the Chief Fundraiser will:
Strategic Planning & Program Management
- In consultation with colleagues and the Executive Council, re-envision, design and operationalize a best-in-class individual giving program.
- Directly manage all aspects of fundraising programs to obtain maximum long-term financial support for the OLP and local riding associations from a wide range of potential donors, including maximizing the Red Trillium Club members’ program and pre-authorized monthly donor program.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across the Fund and Party to find synergies and efficiencies, and to maximize member engagement through advocacy, volunteerism and financial support of the party.
- Develop a robust digital strategy to increase outreach and engagement with members and donors.
- In consultation with the OLP Treasurer, the Director of Finance and the Executive Council, create annual and long-range strategic and integrated fundraising plans for the Fund, based on reliable internal and external data analysis.
- Analyze data and prepare reports required to formulate, execute, evaluate and benchmark strategic and priority-driven implementation plans.
- Report findings to the Executive Council and implement changes in strategy as required.
- Work with the Executive Council to establish a strategic plan for increasing revenues for the Fund.
- Support process and product innovation within the Fund, including the identification of new fundraising opportunities, facilitation and implementation of process innovation within teams, and championing continuous quality improvement within the organization.
- Create and oversee an effective plan for special events that both raises funds and supports member and donor recruitment, engagement, and retention.
- Develop, implement and manage individual strategies to secure resources from high-level prospective donors and ensure that all activities are compliant with the Elections Finances Act of the Province of Ontario.
- Develop and lead the fundraising strategy and dynamic new fundraising programs with the goal of increasing contributors and revenue over both the short and long term.
- Take a lead role in fundraising and relationship development with donors, and in ensuring that annual goals are met. This will include personally managing a portfolio of Red Trillium Club members and prospective members.
- Oversee and provide direction to staff responsible for the various fundraising programs (Annual & Regional Fund Dinners, Individual Giving, Red Trillium Club Giving, Online Appeals) with a focus on growth and innovation in the area of individual giving.
- Identify, evaluate, cultivate and solicit appropriate prospective donors.
- With support of key stakeholders, write a compelling case for support.
- Create donor cultivation opportunities, events, and a strong and an engaging stewardship program.
- Develop and maintain an in-depth knowledge of the Party’s priorities, issues, and needs; and apply this knowledge to matching the interests of members and donors in engagement with and support of the Party.
- In collaboration with Riding Associations, Elections Ontario, the Leader of the Ontario Liberal Party and the Party’s Marketing and Communications and others, ensure adequate levels of central support are in place to implement the fundraising strategies of the Fund.
Staff and Volunteer Leadership
- Responsible for the human resource management of the Fund staff by providing leadership, direction, motivation, professional training and development.
- Lead by example, build excitement and enthusiasm, and promote responsibility and accountability among the team’s members.
- Provide guidance to all fundraising administrators involved in the various activities associated with fundraising, including providing high-level commentary on priorities and call briefings.
- Meet with staff on a regular basis to review progress against annual goals and prospect strategy development.
- Collaborate with, support, and motivate the Fund’s Board and volunteer fundraising committee to support fundraising objectives.
- Oversee the recruitment, cultivation and management of volunteers to achieve the financial goals of the organization.
- Collaborate with colleagues to manage the strategic planning, annual business and operational planning, and plan implementation.
- Prepare annual budget documents and manage the operating budget for the Fund.
- Develop and monitor revenue and expense projections, and present for discussion to the OLP Executive Council.
- Oversee the transition of the Fund onto a new database system in 2016/2017, and provide support to ensure a smooth implementation of the new system.
- Focus on the continued professionalization of the Fund, and on continuous quality improvement.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about this opportunity, please contact Tara George, Senior Vice President at KCI (Ketchum Canada Inc.) via email at OLF@KCIphilanthropy.com or 416-340-9710 ext. 254.
All inquiries and nominations will be kept in strict confidence. Please note that expressions of interest are requested no later than June 13, 2016. Candidates who wish to be considered for this position are asked to submit a resume and covering letter to the above email address.