Manager, Communications & Public RelationsCompany: Shepherds of Good Hope
Date Posted: October 19, 2016
Shepherds of Good Hope (SGH) is a non-profit charitable organization in Ottawa, Ontario that empowers those most in need in the community with innovative, specialized programs, partnerships and services. We operate a large homeless shelter and soup kitchen, supportive living residences, day programs and social initiatives. This is achieved by creating a sense of community for all through acceptance, compassion and care.
Reporting to the Director of Philanthropy and Resource Development, the Manager, Communications and Public Relations is responsible for supporting Shepherds of Good Hope (SGH) and Shepherds of Good Hope Foundation (SGHF). The incumbent will be required to create direct mail and e-blasts; write and edit social media content; prepare media releases; write newsletters; maintain our website; prepare various correspondence mechanisms to donors and manage public relations in a regular communications environment, as well as in possible times of crises.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage day-to-day internal and external communications and marketing activities of SGH/SGHF
- Leverage existing media relationships and cultivate new contacts to best serve the interests of SGH/SGHF
- Develop and implement a communications strategy that is tied to our strategic plan
- Research and understand industry trends and make appropriate recommendations to improve communications
- Create content for direct mail pieces, e-blasts and newsletters
- Prepare sponsorship letters, receipt letters and thank you letters for donors and work with the Foundation team on distribution
- Assist in the preparation of annual reports
- Write and edit social media content and report on social media analytics, while improving on approaches and tactics (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Snapchat, blogs, etc.)
- Prepare media releases to promote the SGH/SGHF various events, and major revenue generation opportunities
- Manage public relations activities to promote our programs and services
- Interview clients and staff to develop engaging stories for the public
- Research and implement branding strategies
- Additional responsibilities as required
- Degree in Marketing and Communications, Public Relations, English or Journalism or equivalent years of experience
- A minimum of 5 years relevant experience
- Exceptional creative and writing skills
- Experience with all social network platforms including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
- Knowledge of emerging trends and technologies
- Bilingualism required
Skills & Abilities
- Exceptional interpersonal, communications, writing and listening skills
- Problem solving and organizational skills
- Time management skills with the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate
- Strong client service skills
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office, Publisher, Adobe Creative Suite (Photo Shop and Premier), Social networking sites, and social media software/platforms
Please note, Shepherds of Good Hope offers a competitive benefits package, an RRSP matching program, and an Employee & Family Assistance Program.
To Apply: Interested candidates must send resumes with a covering letter by November 1, 2016.
Please quote ‘Manager, Communications & Public Relations’ on the email subject line and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Shepherds of Good Hope is committed to being responsive to the diverse needs of our clients, residents, employees and volunteers, including those with disabilities. Please inform us if you require accommodation through the hiring process and we will make every effort to meet your needs.