Database SpecialistCompany: Cuso International
Date Posted: November 22, 2016
Location: Flexible - Cuso International offices in Ottawa, Montreal or Toronto
Reports to: Manager of Information Systems
B.U. status: Unionized
Language requirements: English
Deadline: Competition will remain open until the position has been filled
Competition Number: DS-2016-33
The Database Specialist has two main areas of responsibility:
- Realize the full potential of Raiser’s Edge and Luminate Online, primarily for Resource Development and Communications teams and also throughout the organization as the primary Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system;
- Technically manage Raiser’s Edge and Luminate Online to fulfill the objectives of the organization.
Realize the full potential of Raiser’s Edge /Luminate Online
The Database Specialist possesses a solid technical understanding of Raiser’s Edge and its use for fundraising, public engagement, donor, volunteer, alumni and other stakeholder relationship management, campaigns, segmentation, tracking and trend analysis. Specifically, the Database Specialist:
- Manages constituent and gift data for use in direct response, major gift, public engagement, alumni and volunteering campaigns
- Creates database queries to support management reporting and information requirements for the organization
- Researches database for trends and opportunities, creating comprehensive analysis of constituents to advance the organization’s objectives
- Maintains and, when necessary, develops policies and procedures to ensure data entry and workflows are consistent.
- Ensures that proper documentation, procedures and policies are maintained for data integrity. Reviews and updates departmental procedures and policies annually. Routinely suggests policy and procedure topics for documentation and drafts; Modifies, posts and implements policies and procedures, as approved.
- Develops standards, procedures, and conventions for data and database use and monitors staff and departmental use and applications. Ensures compliance with policies & procedures to support ethical and successful fundraising practices.
- Works with Finance to reconcile gifts, provides transaction information and reports, troubleshoots issues and, when required, re-evaluates procedures and systems to improve gift tracking, reconciliation, and reporting.
- Pursuant to financial regulations and non-profit best practices, documents and maintains the RE policies and procedures manual.
- Performs all donor database administration and supervisory functions, including database maintenance, duplicate record merging, clean-up tasks, and quality control audits. Work with IT and outside vendors to troubleshoot network and software issues.
- Collaborate with fundraisers in the prospect research and moves management activities of the Development Department, including the generation of donor and prospect profiles, as well as reporting on cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities
- Helps promote and implement Raiser’s Edge / Luminate Online as the organization’s designated Customer Relationship Management system
- Trains all Raiser’s Edge users to perform their current duties more efficiently, leverage additional features of the application and elevate their self-sufficiency when using the system
- Maintains and enhances current interfaces between Raiser’s Edge and other information systems
- Identifies, recommends and pursues new integration opportunities to improve the accuracy, timeliness and efficiency of the overall data flow
Technically manage and provide day-to-day support of Raiser’s Edge and Luminate Online
The Database Specialist provides ongoing database support for resource development campaigns and public engagement, alumni and volunteering activities. Specifically, the Database Specialist:
- Ensures that codes are set up and maintained in Raiser's Edge for donations, appeals, public engagement activities, funds, donors and volunteer preferences and segments
- Imports gift data, volunteer data, event data into Raiser`s Edge
- Advises on policies and procedures regarding data to enhance the organization’s ability to fully measure marketing activities and supporter interaction.
- Keeps records up-to-date and clean (e.g. monitors for duplicates and checks quality of address and salutation info)
- Creates special reports when requested by staff
- Resolves technical problems with Raiser’s Edge / Luminate Online using Blackbaud support resources
- Coordinates and manages Blackbaud system changes and software maintenance schedules with staff (Raiser’s Edge / Luminate Online are hosted and maintained by Blackbaud)
- Ensures all data received through donations, event and campaign registration and public engagement initiatives through the on-line Artez interface are reconciled with the Raiser’s Edge
- Routinely imports information from the volunteer management database system
- Creates documentation to facilitate staff training and captures institutional knowledge pertaining to RE business processes and data integrity
- Proactively assists users in determining more efficient ways to utilize Raiser’s Edge / Luminate Online and provide support to end users when errors and issues arise
- The Database Specialist may be asked to provide support in the area of ICT from time to time, pending capacity & proper training be provided
- The Database Specialist also carries out other duties from time to time as required.
- 3-5 years of Raiser’s Edge use and training experience.
- College diploma in a relevant field will be considered a strong asset
- Good conceptual knowledge of fundraising software systems and donor databases
- Experience extracting data via queries and reports
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills
- Technical project management experience
- Excellent ability to organize and prioritize, work under pressure, and to meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical skills
- Demonstrates strategic thinking and creative problem solving to assist in meeting organizational and team goals
- Excellent attention to details
- Attitudes and behaviours which show respect for different cultures
- Flexible and able to work in an organization committed to continuous improvement
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills,
- Ability to work in and across multiple teams in a participatory manner
- Familiarity with the NXT version of Raiser’s Edge
- 1-2 years’ experience supporting Luminate Online
- Experience with the Raiser’s Edge / Luminate Online Data Connector
- General ICT knowledge and troubleshooting skills
- General knowledge of all forms of fundraising techniques, especially direct response
- Knowledge of financial procedures related to fundraising
- Commitment to Cuso International’s mission and work
How to apply!
Expressions of interest should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number DS-2016-33. To be considered, résumés and cover letters should clearly demonstrate that all of the essential qualifications are met.