Vice President, Finance and AdministrationCompany: Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Foundation
Date Posted: January 16, 2017
About CHEO – OCTC and Roger Neilson House
The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario – Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre (CHEO –OCTC) is the leading provider of specialized pediatric health services in Canada's capital. The two previously separate organizations recently joined forces to become one organization, stronger together for kids and families.
CHEO’s caring doctors, nurses and staff have the privilege and responsibility of serving more than
500,000 children and youth each year as result of illnesses or injuries from communities throughout Eastern Ontario, Western Quebec, Nunavut and parts of Northern Ontario. As a world-class research centre and teaching hospital, for 43 years CHEO has changed young lives in our community, while our innovations change young lives around the world.
OCTC has been providing specialized care for children and youth with disabilities, including cerebral palsy, complex needs associated with congenital conditions, developmental delay, autism spectrum disorders and brain injury for more than 65 years. OCTC's vision is to create opportunities today, while maximizing independence tomorrow.
Roger Neilson House has operated in partnership with CHEO for the past 10 years to enrich the lives of children, youth and their families facing progressive life limiting illnesses. Roger Neilson House was built with the financial support of the Ottawa Senators Foundation in memory of Roger Neilson — Hockey Hall of Fame Coach and Member of the Order of Canada.
CHEO and Roger Neilson House staff provide respite care, end of life care, transition to home support, symptom management, perinatal care and bereavement care by ensuring individualized physical, emotional, and spiritual support in a caring, compassionate and continuous learning environment. The goal is to provide peace and comfort for every child and the creation of lasting memories for their families.
The Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) Foundation has the privilege and responsibility of inspiring and connecting the communities served by CHEO, OCTC and Roger Neilson House with opportunities to provide financial support to assist and advance their important missions.
The CHEO Foundation is seeking a new Vice President, Finance and Administration
Reporting to the President and CEO, the Vice President, Finance and Administration will serve as a key member of the Foundation’s Executive Team and play a leadership role in finance management, reporting and strategic planning.
- Management of the business operation of the Foundation
- Ensure effective cash management and ensure the appropriate financial controls are in place at all times
- Oversees financial policies and accounting practices/processes and ensures appropriate supporting technology are utilized
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements to President and CEO and Board of Directors;
- Preparation of financial reports for Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Charities Directorate and HST quarterly filings;
- Lead the annual external audit process including preparation of appropriate working papers
- Lead and prepare the annual operating and capital budgets of the Foundation in collaboration with the President and CEO, and Management
- Serves as staff lead for the Foundation’s Finance and Investment Committees;
- Oversee recording and tracking of the Foundation’s investment portfolio and work closely with our Investment Managers;
- Preparation of key benchmarking information with counterparts in CCHF (Canada’s Children’sHospitals Foundations) and CMN (Children’s Miracle Network);
- Oversees the management of donor designated/restricted funds;
- Oversees the management and reporting of donor endowment funds;
- Provides leadership for the development, implementation and maintenance of the Foundation’shuman resources procedures and policies.
- A passion for supporting the health and well-being of children and young families and a commitment to the CHEO Foundation’s philanthropic mission;
- Advanced degree in business such as B. Comm or MBA;
- CPA designation preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of overall professional experience including a minimum of 6 years of financial and operations management
- Experience with final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for a charitable organization of similar size and complexity
- Financial leadership experience with a healthcare foundation is preferred;
- Exceptional interpersonal, relationship-building and presentation skills;
- Successful track record in setting priorities along with keen analytic, organizational and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Knowledge of ACPAC and Raiser’s Edge;
- Possess a deep and sincere appreciation for the efforts and contributions of others including donors, volunteers, co-workers and the community at large
- Team player who leads by example with an exceptional work ethic and a commitment to excellence in all aspects of their work
- Willingness and ability to attend and support many special events throughout the year both within and outside of regular business hours
- Valid driver’s license;
- Bilingualism – English and French – will be considered an asset.
The CHEO Foundation offers an excellent benefits package and supports ongoing professional development opportunities. We offer an exceptional work environment in which people support each other and focus on common goals.
The CHEO Foundation offers a competitive compensation package. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
If you have a passion for the well-being of children along with the character and credentials to bring significant value to this role, please forward your resumé and a covering letter outlining your interest in joining our dynamic, committed and hard-working team by Tuesday, January 24, 2017 to: email@example.com or
415 Smyth Road
Ottawa, ON K1H 8M8
RE: Application for Vice President, Finance and Administration
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interview will be contacted.