Special Events CoordinatorCompany: Hospice Care Ottawa
Date Posted: January 17, 2017
Hospice Care Ottawa is a community-based charitable organization whose mission is to accompany and support individuals, and their families, through their end of life journey by providing compassionate, high quality care. Hospice Care Ottawa programs include day hospice, home support, family support, and residential hospice services. Hospice Care Ottawa delivers these services at four sites: May Court Hospice, Central West Hospice, Ruddy-Shenkman Hospice and la Maison de l’Est. We rely on and value the contribution of over 1000 volunteers who contribute to every aspect of our programs. Hospice Care Ottawa is looking for people to work in a supportive integrated environment who are committed to supporting the highest quality palliative care.
With at least three years’ experience event planning in a non-profit charitable organization, you will work with key staff and volunteers to implement a variety of signature special events and support third party events to increase the profile of Hospice Care Ottawa and increase its ability to meet revenue targets. The full-time Special Events Coordinator reports to the Manager of Fund Development and works with the fund development team to assist on all fund development activities including assisting with acquiring sponsorship opportunities, media launches, communications, stewardship and follow-up with donors, staff and volunteers.
- Take the lead in the planning and execution of all HCO events with strong support from the Fund Development team and committed event volunteers
- Work closely with the Manager to identify the needs and opportunities that present for each event or activity
- Support and steward third party event initiatives to ensure they meet the goals of HCO
- Work with Fund Development team to monitor, analyze and evaluate all communications associated with the events, and liaise on communications strategies to ensure that the integrated communications and fundraising objectives of the Hospice are being met
- Provide day to day administrative support for thanking donors and volunteers, correspondence and follow-up.
- Liaise regularly with all internal staff to ensure awareness of and responsiveness to constituent information needs
- Provide consultation and advice to the Manager of Fund Development on the coordination of information activities, volunteer needs and communication strategies as required
- Exploit social media knowledge and skills to optimize fund development and event promotion opportunities.
- Assist the team with the strategy, development and ongoing maintenance of the Hospice’s website
- 3-5 years’ experience working in event coordination for the charitable sector
- Post-secondary degree in a related discipline
- Highly organized self-starter; independent and self-directed
- Excellent business writing skills
- Excellent presentation skills for diverse audiences
- Complete and current knowledge of CRA charitable rules and regulations
- Ability to think “outside of the box” and to help Hospice Care Ottawa develop a flexible and creative approach to fund development
- Ability to work in a demanding, results oriented, busy environment as part of a closely-knit team and with many volunteers
- Excellent skills and knowledge with social media sites and software programs such as Publisher, Excel, Word, Power Point, donor databases
- Bilingualism (French and English) an asset
- Valid driver’s license and ability to travel within City of Ottawa to all Hospice Care Ottawa sites
- Vulnerable person police check
This is a full time permanent position. Position reports directly to the Manager Fund Development. Salary is commensurate with experience and ranges from $42,000 - $50, 000. We also offer a generous benefit package and vacation allowance for full time employees.
Deadline for applications is Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Director Finance and Administration, Hospice Care Ottawa
c/o May Court Hospice
114 Cameron Avenue
Ottawa, Ontario, K1S 0X1
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this role. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
We are an equal opportunity employer welcoming applications from individuals with diverse backgrounds.